Tuesday 11 December 2012

What If No One Votes?

I am a registered Kenyan voter. Lets begin from there to be on the safe side. I might seem like I am discouraging people from registering for the march 2013 General Election. But, I mean, Kenyan politics has just been full of wordy garbage over the years including embezzlement of public funds. We are tired, but we don't show it. I recently put up a post on my facebook account urging people to vote. It read as follows...

You might be sceptical about whether voting in the March 2013 elections will change Kenya, but the fact remains that the political and economical stability of this country will affect you in one way or another for as long as you live within these borders. And that depends on who will be voted in as president as well as your local administrators. You have the power to take Kenya towards the direction you want it to go. Don't think that your vote is too little to count. If you make the decision and your neighbour also does, friends and family, we shall never be the same. It starts with one - you. Lets register. No one else will change Kenya. It's us, because we are Kenya.
 
Sharing it in one of the facebook groups I am subscribed to, someone commented that he does not think our politics will ever change, so they did not see the need to register. Well, I challenged that and cited the example of the situation in Egypt. The citizens there fight for what they believe in.

He replied by giving me a very interesting scenario. Just what if we showed our politicians how serious we are about our country by failing to vote? What if no one casted the ballot and no one is voted in? Some sort of a silent revolution. It would be televised, right? Well, I thought about it and came up with a few insights, which I'll keep to myself. It actually makes sense, doesn't it?

Let the people decide.

Meanwhile, am working my ass off so I can get money for Christmas. I shall be going to Mombasa with a group of friends with whom we have formed a gospel company called Watume. Time to enjoy ourselves and just thank God for life and all. Back to work! 

No comments:

Post a Comment